Before sending the information
Public authorities should check that:
- the correct information is included
- the information does not contain unnoticed personal data or other sensitive details which is not intended for disclosure
- If you are releasing an electronic document, check the metadata
- metadata might include the name of the author, or details of earlier draft versions.
- a spreadsheet displaying information as a table may contain the original detailed source data, even if this is not immediately visible at first glance.
- ensure that staff responsible for answering requests understand how to use common software formats, and how to strip out any sensitive metadata or source data (eg data hidden behind pivot tables in spreadsheets).
The UK Information Commissioner has issued guidance on "How to disclose information safely".