The sixth data protection principle requires a data controller to process your personal data in accordance with your rights.
It is important to remember that the Act only applies to personal data and there are occasions when these rights do not apply or are restricted.
In summary your rights are:
- Right of access to personal data
- Rectification, blocking, erasure and destruction
- Right to prevent processing likely to cause damage or distress
- Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements
- Rights in relation to automated decision-taking
Guidance on all your rights is available by following this link and in the guide below.
The use of your personal data for direct marketing is subject to both the Data Protection Act and the Unsolicited Communications Regulations. Your rights in respect of direct marketing are set out in a separate section.