Complaints about personal use of CCTV

Individuals who are affected by CCTV installed on a domestic property should take steps to approach the householder in the first instance to raise their concerns.  

They may also complain to the local authorities and/or the police as the intrusive use of the CCTV could amount to harassment.  

It is advisable to maintain a record of any communications, for example copies of letters, dates and times of phone calls or conversations etc, as details of the steps taken to address the matter may be sought by those authorities.  

Individuals, having taken those steps, may make a complaint to the Commissioner and will usually be asked to provide details of the steps they have already taken to address the matter.  If the Commissioner considers that the processing is for more that "domestic purposes" he must investigate the complaint.

Find out how to make a complaint to the Commissioner